Orthopedics Community
crash report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

crash report

I was involved in a road accident xmas day 2009, i was teated for a frozen shoulder however the pain continued and after 10 months was referred to an MRI scan and Xray, mri showed that my supraspinatus was severed, I was seen by an orthopeadic surgeon Feb 2012 who wrote a report which stated that I had a partial tear pre-existing, I have never had the effected shoulder examined prior to the accident as I have never had any problems with that shoulder,
the report states that the full tear has been accelerated by 2 years, I am quite confused as to why this diagnosis could be made that there was a partial tear not befor the accident but over 2 years later, there was no statement as to the degree of the partial tear as this was unknown and non existant as far as i am aware, so without an actual degree of any partial tear then I believe that the statement regarding a partial tear and  acceleration is unsubstantiated  and is basically an assumption , can anyone help me with this question
regards to all
Hi there!

I understand that there was a primary MRI done in 2009 that described a partial tear of the supraspinatus and in 2012 the previous MRI was read by an orthopedician who described a pre-existing tear since 2009 which probably has accelerated now. I assume the later was based on a physical examination if a repeat MRI was not done. If there was mention of a previous tear before the accident actually happened, I am not sure what this assumption could be based on. I would suggest discussing this with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Hi thanks for the reply, the accident was dec 25 2009, the Mri scan and Xray was not  done until oct 2010, I was examined by the orthopeadic surgeon in feb 2012, the report was that the xray was suggestive of a pre-existing partial tear. and goes on to say that the accident accelerated a full thiockmess tear by 2 years, but I feel that if the partial tear is based on an assumption then the acceleration period is also based on the same assumption which makes a huge difference to my claim.
your help is really appreciated thanks so much