Orthopedics Community
crush injury to lower leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

crush injury to lower leg

Hi There

I suffered a severe crush injury to lower left leg - calf area, this is now week 3 and leg did not suffer any breakages just severe swelling and bruising and some cuts that required to be dressed (still ongoing). I have my leg heavily strapped up and although I see bruising and swellling has reduced slightly it ijust seems to be very slow process, I have no feeling on front of my shin and at top of my knee area which I have been informed is nerve damage.

The back of my calf and part of my shin is very hard almost feels like there is a lead weight attached to that area and has a very heavy feel. I have made an appointment to see my GP next week regarding these concerns since I have not seen him since being disharged from my overnight stay in hospital, I was not given heparin which was prescribed as it was forgotten to be administered.

I just wondered if these are all the normal symptoms of a severe crush injury, I hear about concerns over DVT and compartment syndrome and that heparin is usually given after such an injury. I had some enzyme that was high in my bloods that was of concern??

Appreciate any advice.

:)
I am curious as to how long the nerve problem continued.  Have you had any other problems with this injury?
Apologies barbarojo11, a year to reply!! Only just saw that someone posted!

I have been left with irreversible nerve damage on my shin,  and calf and fluid around my knee. I am unable to kneel and have a haematoma in my calf that still causes pain if touched. Oh and my left leg is 3cm thicker than my right leg now just due to all the damage. Turns out I hadn't damaged any muscle but the fat that protects your muscle was all torn and crushed.

Im grateful I still have my leg!