Orthopedics Community
crushed fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

crushed fingers

10 days ago i crushed 2 fingers in car door 2days later i went to local hospital as was still swollen i had x-ray the doctor was turkish so i didnt understand too good but he told me they were not broken just bleeding inside he put my hand in plaster for 2 days then i had to go back where he put my fingers in metal splint and told me to keep them elevated and keep splints on for 2 weeks i am worried now as many people have told me they should not be in splints as i should be trying to move them gently i took splint off tonight for an hour finger is still swollen and is very painful to bend them..do i keep splint on for another week or start gentle exercises now to get them working again..doc said no need to go back to him just take off splint after 2 weeks...
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The first thing is to know if you fractured your fingers or not?
What about confirming it on an X-ray?

If fractured you would need splints or else bandaging or splints for few days would be sufficient for the healing.

The stiffness and pain is due to the splints you had been wearing for some days.

You also get individual splints for each finger and this would be better as you can move that finger completely perpendicularly.

Take intermittent pain killers.

Take care!