Orthopedics Community
cuboid bone pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

cuboid bone pain

I have experienced intense lateral left foot pain at the site of the cuboid bone for almost three years.  It started after I woke up one night and my foot was having some kind of spasm that was bending my foot down.  I woke up screaming in pain, grabbed my foot and started massaging it, and the spasm stopped, but I've had pain ever since.  I went to a podiatrist who took an x-ray and said there was nothing wrong with my foot. Here's what the radiology report says:  "Dorsoplantar, oblique, and lateral radiographs of the foot are limited secondary to flexion of the toes on all views. There is no fracture, dislocation, or soft tissue abnormality. A large bone island is present in the cuboid."  There's no swelling or redness.  A bit of background -- I have occult spinal dysraphism with tethered cord syndrome.  I wear an AFO on the right, but my left foot is only minimally affected (claw toes and a very high arch).

The odd thing about my pain is that it hurts the LEAST when I'm walking or standing, but is excruciating when I'm swimming and when I sit or lie down -- ESPECIALLY at night.  In fact, it has been keeping me from sleeping lately.  When the dr examined my foot, he rubbed it and manipulated it and it didn't hurt at all -- until I left 15 minutes later, when it started hurting badly.

He said it must be nerve pain, but I could write a book on nerve pain, and this doesn't feel like nerve pain -- it is very localized to the cuboid bone.  I take Lodine, supplemented with TYlenol arthritis, but it is getting to the point that meds are not helping.  I also ice it down sometimes, which takes the edge off.

I never went back because he insisted there was nothing wrong, regardless of my symptoms.  If I went back, or went to someone else, is there anything diagnostically or treatment-wise that could be done to help me?

BTW I'm a 45 year old woman.