Orthopedics Community
de quervain's : large bulge 3 weeks post op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had De Quervain's surgery 3 weeks ago by a reputable hand surgeon. The tendons were extremely inflamed and there was an associated ganglion that was removed. All has gone fine. The exception is this: a large bulge, progressively, but slowly, enlarging at the site of the incision. On the medial aspect of the wrist. What could be happening: a ganglion development, torn sutures, inflammation that will take more time to resolve? I wore a wrist brace for two weeks, with the advice that I can do anything within reason. Hand/ thumb/fingers have been without pain. I have appointment to see doc for post op visit in 8 days ( which is 4 weeks post op). would it be advisable to consult with him sooner than 8 days?   Have you ever heard of this?
I should also mention, carpal tunnel surgery was performed at the same time as the De Quervain's release, same hand.  Both areas were found to be  severely inflamed with thick necrotic tissue that required excision.  I waited to have the surgery of the hand, until I recovered from ankle reconstruction. I was none weight bearing for 11 weeks, with the use of a walker.