dead bone tissue
here's my situation. my cow had stepped on my big toe and foot several yrs ago. since then the knuckle on my big toe aches all the time especially when i have shoes on. i went to the dr. they did xrays and a mri on foot.  said it was broken yrs ago when injury happened.  and that the bone never completely healed. so know i have a spot roughly the size of a nickel that is dead bone.  the dr wants to do surgery on my foot. cutting out all the dead bone and replacing it with some sort of filling material.  my question is has anyone out there had this sort of procedure done?  did it help the pain.  im scared to go have the surgery done thinking maybe it would make it worse. however at this time its pretty painful. im living in sandals for the summer but wore my sneakers the other day for little bit and the pain was awful. sending a throbbing up my leg. all from me toe.  
Hi there!

Well, the pain in the situation is likely to be due to inflammation associated with degeneration. With the surgery the dead/ sclerotic bone would be replaced with graft or filling cement, thus correcting the primary cause and is likely to improve your symptoms. I would suggest discussing the situation and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!