Orthopedics Community
dislocated clavicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

dislocated clavicle

My 12 year old daughter dislocated her clavicle bone in mid October.  We have seen an orthopedic surgen
and she has rested it for 3 months now.  He told us that it may never go back to normal and she may always have pain in that joint.  She is a competative swimmer and we are not sure if she will ever be herself again.  Will the pain go away or will she always have problem.  

Swimmomeb
Is it still out of joint or just dislocated that once? Or does it keep dislocating?

If it popped out of joint, the doc should have tried putting it back in I would imagine. Unless you waited to long and the joint started to heal itself out side of the joint.

My collarbone would keep dislocating every day for about 4 years before I had surgery on it...

But lemme know what the details are...
Thanks for responding.

We saw the orthopedic doctor the very next day.  He did not put her in a sling and he did
not try to put it back into place.  He said that it would not go back into place and it will always stand out just a little bit. She had physical therapy for about 4 sessions and he just told her to rest it. It is an anterio subclavical dislocation and he told us that if it was posterior he would do surgery but this is not life threatining so he sees no point.  He only took x-rays and he did not do a CT  scan or MRI.  I will definitly not go back to him.
I just refuse to accept the fact that she will always have pain there because she is only 12 and she didn't break it.

Swimmomeb