Orthopedics Community
displaced rib fractures healing time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

displaced rib fractures healing time

I broke four ribs in a motor vehical accident back in august 9 thru 12 with# 10 with two fractures.Everything I have read so far tells me I should have healed by now.My dr.had xrays taken last week to check any progress and it still showed 5 displaced fractures.I have not been able to sleep in a bed thru the night in a bed without the pain waking me up so I sleep in a reecliner most of the time.Also due to the physical nature of my job I have not been able to return to work.My doctor tells me it needs more time,tomorrow marks 12 weeks my question is how much more ttime before I pursue another alternative.thank you
Anyone please this thing has turned me into an insomniac too.
oh well no answers in here i guess
Avatar_dr_m_tn

You have to have patience here and try to understand your physiology. Your chest cavity is in constant motion because you need respiration.

Your ribs contribute to inspiration and expiration so they are continuously in kinetic motion. For a fracture or dislocation to heal it is needed to immobilize the part which is not possible here.

So continue resting and following all instruction of your orthopedician properly for another 4 weeks. If you are progressing properly but slowly there is nothing to worry.

Take care!