enchondroma
My 51 year old husband recently hurt his right hand, he went to the doctor, where they did an x ray and we were told he has enchondroma in his right pinky knuckle bone. The doctor recommends surgery, is surgery necessary? what would happen to the bone if he does not have surgery?

our 9 year old boy has leukemia, does that make my husband's odds of it becoming cancerous more likely?
Hi there!

Enchondromas are benign tumours and surgery is not usually recommended unless there are specific indications such as uncontrolled symptoms, cortex erosion, suspicion of malignancy etc. Family history of leukaemia does not increase the likelihood of enchndroma turning malignant. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician. If in doubt, you may seek a second opinion with another orthopedician.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!