Orthopedics Community
epidural

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

epidural

is an epidural safe
Hi, epidural anesthesia is form of giving drugs through epidural space in spine; a catheter is inserted under local anesthesia in to epidural space to block nerve sensations causing pain. Although it is quite effective and safe technique but some complications are associated with it but is quite safe when done by experienced person.

Please visit this website for complications and side effects:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidural

What type of epideral are you having.  I just had a second Epideral Steriod Injection.  I have a ruptured L-5 and pain was shooting down my leg.  The first one improved pain slightly and then the second has reduced pain significantly......  I can walk and sit with minimum pain.  The procedure was a no brainer, performed in a surgical ctr, sterile environment and took about 8 minutes!  Fortunately no side effects at all.  A little pain in the injection site that was reduced when ice was applied.  Good luck!
I have had 2 ESIs in my neck and 2 in my lower back over a period of 2 years. The procedure was quick, but the next two days I felt a bit worse than before due to the additional steroid injected into the area. But then the area began to feel better after that. As the area feels better, physical therapy is very beneficial to learn what exercises will be helpful to strengthen your back. The benefit from the injection rarely lasts more than a few months, but is very helpful for your doctor to learn more precisely what is causing your pain and other ways to deal with your pain on a more lasting basis. It is possible that the injection will give you enough relief so that you can strengthen the area sufficiently to eliminate most of your pain. So make wise use of the time following your injection.