Orthopedics Community
fell down the stairs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

fell down the stairs

I fell down the stairs 5 days ago and landed hard on my butt. ( it was the second to last step, carpeted). I got a welt the size of half of a baseball on my upper right butt cheek. The welt/bump has not gone away, the is a u shaped bruise around the bump. It's hurts when I sit down/ lay down, when I scratch or touch it there is no feeling on the bulge. What should I do, did I break something, should I go to my doctor?
Hi there!

A fall from two steps is unlikely to result in serious injuries, unless there are primary factors present. This is likely to be soft tissue injury or a haematoma and is likely to resolve in a few days. I would suggest resting for a few days. Ice-pack/ warm compresses and tylenol may be helpful in pain relief. Vitamin C tablets may help with the healing process. If the symptoms do not resolve in 1-2 weeks, I would suggest seeing a doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!