Orthopedics Community
fell on knee cap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

fell on knee cap

Hi...I fell hard on the sidewalk on my right knee cap and I immediately had swelling and a large amount of fluid on top of the kneecap.  I was not able to bend my knee at all.  I elevated it for several hours and put ice on it.  I tried to get up and my right foot turns dark blue and the veins stick out and start to swell immediately, the swelling i n the knee returns immediately even though it goes down a little bit with elevation and I still can not bend it. Is this just a bad sprain, or does it sound like something more.  I'm a nurse but never dealt with orthoped. issues this doesn't seem right, but the swelling abatement with the elevation is somewhat reassuring.  I am continuing to elevate it and ice it but every time I get up the symptoms return and the pain is unbearable.

Thanks,

C
Hello Dear,
You should consult a orthopedic physician and go in for a x-ray to rule out any internal trauma,fracture ,ligament injury .Keep your leg  elevated , you can take some NSAID for pain releif.Unless any investigations are done the treatement cannot be decided.You should get it evaluated.
Best
I did this a couple of years ago on the ice. My knee instantly bruised and swelled. I didnt go to the docs, I waited it out (it was on the weekend, and I didnt want to pay emergency room rates). Within a couple most of the swelling had gone down. I stayed off of it as long as I could. It hurt really bad! I took a lot of motrin and a lot of ice. If you can just stay off of it, do that. Wait another day or so and see how you are then. Best wishes to you!