foot fracture; burning sensation and pain after one week
80 year old with fracture in foot, bone that is on big toe side of left foot just before ankle  slipped on stair; wearing orhopedic black "boot."  burning pain/sensation in insured foot  on top of foot up to toes.  What causes this?
Burning is a normal pain for fractures but you may also have some nerve damage from the injury. Sometimes burning can be associated with swelling as well. Some swelling is good because the fluid that causes swelling brings in white blood cells to help clean up the "bad stuff" around the injury. Make sure you are elevating and icing your foot. Make sure if you use a gel icepack you have something in between the ice pack and your skin. No heat if swelling is present!! Good luck!
Hi there!

The pain and discomfort occurs due to the inflammation associated with the fracture and consequent irritation to the nerve endings. This is likely to settle as the fracture heals and the inflammation comes down. Meanwhile you may try some ice-packs and OTC NSAIDS for a symptomatic relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks! I have the same burning, but it has gotten worse with the decrease in swelling! What's that all about?
How long after a foot fracture do you keep on icing... when swelling is down having the leg elevated ... but tenderness remains?  Also, is there any trouble continuing Tylenol for a couple of weeks every 4 hours????
Hi again!

Ice-packs are generally helpful in acute injuries till a period while still there is appreciable redness, burning sensation and/ or swelling. After a few weeks, when the swelling and the redness are down; and there is just tenderness to touch (not a typical acute burning sensation), warm compresses may be helpful in providing symptomatic relief at this time. Leg elevation like ice-packs, is more helpful in the acute inflammatory phase as well. Yes, one could take 4 hourly tylenol for two weeks, but it should be best tried to lower the intake making it 6-8 hourly and gradually reducing and stopping the intake.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I fell 3 months ago on my big toe side of my foot all my weight 150 on it , the in side of the ball part of the big toe is was swollen for a couple day but was in pain for 7 weeks . Now when I wear toe restricted shoes ( boots or Heels ) the pain is unreal . It pain and burning for hours maybe even the next day .