Orthopedics Community
foot pain from cast after ankle break

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

foot pain from cast after ankle break

Almost a year ago I had a complete break to my ankle while skiing.  No surgery was required.  A cast was put on for 10 days and after most of the swelling had gone down another put on for about 4 more weeks.  After a week I complained about tightness but the Dr. thought toe color was good so it was not removed.  Upon final removal there was severe red, purple and bruising which had not been present previously.  The doctor I think thought it was due to a bad bunion that I also have on the big toe (which never previously hurt).  The area that causes me pain is at the bottom of my 3 middle toes, where I had a lot of the bruising.  I can still see some discoloration in fact.  It is ok if I am not using it, but if standing some or even walking to go shopping it will hurt for a day.  If I try to do anything semi athletic like dancing, it will hurt more, and for several days.  What do you think this is, what kind of Dr. should I see to find out if there is anything I can do about it (orthopedic, podiatrist, neurologist)?  I also still have some tendon or ligament pain around the ankle bone - the Dr. only cared about the break (only x-rays), said no tears would happen because there was a break (it was a twisting fall) - I don't think this is related to the foot pain in the toes area though.