fractured 7th rib
I fractured the 7th rib on my left side on July 28th of this year in a fall.  I know there is not much that can be done for rib fractures other that pain control & rest while they heal, but how long does it continue to hurt?  I still have pain with bending, twisting and simply trying to sit up or lie down.  Someone told me that I could develop arthritis there where the break was.  Is this true?  
As you say pain management is the important thing in rib fracture.It would take some more time to heal completely.Do not strain till then.ARTHRITIS is a completely diffterent ailment,it does not have a link to fractured ribs.
In the vast majority of cases, treatment revolves around relieving pain while the fracture mends. Pain relief not only keeps you comfortable, but allows you to take deeper, more effective breaths. Ice to the injured area, rest, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, and prescription pain medications such as Tylenol with codeine are helpful to relieve pain. You should also cough or take the deepest breath you can at least once every hour to get air deeply into your lungs. This will reduce your risk of getting pneumonia or a partial collapse of lung tissue (atelectasis).

If you have pain in your ribs or chest wall after a blow to the chest or a fall, but you haven't injured your neck or back, it's a good idea to lie on your injured side. This allows the lung on the uninjured side to inflate more fully when you breathe.

You may be given stronger medication, either by mouth or injected near a nerve, to control your pain.

Good luck.
hi,

Arthritis cannot occur after fractures so relax.
after seven weeks at home with 8 ribs broken including 7th and 8th rib I feel ok . should I or can I go back to work?
I just broke my 7th rib in a fall yesterday; can't imagine the pain you must have with 8 broken ribs!

I was just told that when getting into/out off bed, up/down from a chair if you inhale to fill the lung cavity that it will lessen the pain.

Good luck getting back to work....I travel a lot, am taking a few days off but hope to be
'on the road' again by Thursday---wishful thinking???