fractured elbow rehab
I broke my olecranon 9 weeks ago in a bike accident. I had surgery one week later and pins/wires were used to secure the bone. I was splinted for one week and casted for 4 (5 weeks total immobilization). I was hesitant about the length of immobilization. Since I had the cast removed, I have been doing physical therapy three times a week. I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon yesterday and he informed my I will never get back full range of motion (in spite of the fact that he told me pre-surgery that I would lose at best a few degrees). A doctors assistant tole me I might want to consider arthroscopic surgery. My question is: what are the chances of getting back full range of motion (or close to it) with continued physical therapy and work on my own? (even if it takes months?) Right now I have 25 degrees to go in extension and 20 in flexion. Please help!
With age the olecranon fracture is one of the most difficult fractures to heal. You will never get the whole range of movements and the desired strength as you can understand that you are having fracture healing and the strength of a whole natural bone will be more. You will get maximum strength with physiotherapy and  keep working and perseverance will pay. Have proper diet with protein and calcum. Take care!