Orthopedics Community
funny bone pain when pressure put on it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

funny bone pain when pressure put on it

Hi, for the past two weeks my funny bone has been hurting when any pressure is put on it, so in certain positions ill suddenly have a intense sting feeling on it and it will hurt down my arm. Also if i lift up my arm to fix my pony tail or pick up my purse off my shoulder- doing anything with a bent elbow creates the same pain. Any idea what is wrong?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Irritation of ulnar nerve is commonly referred to as hitting one's "funny bone." This name is thought to be a (conscious or subconscious) pun, based on the sound resemblance between words "humerus" and "humourous"
Pinching of the nerve often causes tingling symptoms in the little and ring fingers. In some cases moderate to severe pain is experienced from pinching this nerve. Often such pins and needles sensations can be caused by sleeping wrongly on your arm, or by cycling for extended periods of time, but sometimes the problems last for days.
Visit an orthopaedician for proper diagnosis.
In severe cases, surgery is performed to move the nerve. Take care!