Orthopedics Community
fused ankles, flat feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

fused ankles, flat feet

History:
As a result of physical examination only, I've been told I was born with a pair of fused ankles, which have caused severely flat feet in both feet (I've been suffering from flat feet for my whole walking life).  Some x-rays have been done here and there, but the most that shows up is a bit of arthritis around the heel, or something like that.

Problem:
I have constant pain, cannot walk properly, cannot live a normal life, and spend obscene amounts of money on shoes and whatever else they tell me to buy.  The degree of the pain is such that at times, I think that just chopping my feet off might be a good alternative.  I've lately taken to taping my feet and ankles up so that it looks and feels like I'm wearing a cast, and this actually helps.  I've used orthotics for most of my life and right now, they hurt even when they are just resting up against my feet (i.e. I don't have to stand on them).  I just put my shoes on and my feet instantly hurt from the orthotics.  The orthotics are about 1.5 years old, are my third or fourth pair (I forget exactly), and have been adjusted numerous times.

The question:
I've begged my doctor to let me see someone other than A Guy Who Makes Orthotics (I forget what those people are actually called).  Unfortunately, my doctor just brushes me off and sends me to Another Guy Who Makes Orthotics whenever I get upset.  I live in Canada and they always want to push the orthotic thing around here (sometimes I wonder if anyone ever practices actual medicine around here).  So the question is this:  What type of health care professional should I be seeing about this problem?  Referrals are not always required around here, so if I can just find out who to see, I can try to get an appointment.

The most advice I've been given, after becoming visibly angry with the lack of care I've received, is that I would need ankle replacement (yes, they said that without diagnostic imaging), but that such a procedure would be impossible for me because I'm too young and because it would shift how the rest of my body functions, transferring the problem to the knees and hips.  This was advice given to me by A Guy Who Makes Orthotics...

I have a lot of disdain for Guys Who Make Orthotics, because the advice they give me always translates into me having to buy their products (specifically, shoes and orthotics).  I'm rather sick of that.  I really don't trust them.  They don't even have medical degrees.  I have seen 3 different Guys, and they all had different ways to make orthotics, and they each insulted the previous orthotic-maker's methods.  Oh and of course they each gave me a different diagnosis.  And to top it off, they get mad when I don't want to buy their shoes.
You wanted to know about the specialist who could be helpful.
Kindly do schedule an appointment with an orthopaedician (BONE SPECIALIST) and discuss with him all the options.
I have the same problems as you, but I have both of my ankles fused together, and I also have very flat feet.  I am know a scientist in the foot orthotic industry.  I have owned Montes orthopedic in Tucson,  Arizona.  As a result of my experiance I have become the Worlds most authority on foot orthotics.  I also have a mail order business by which I am able to help people accross the country with their foot problems.  I can help you because I have the only adjustiable foot orthotic that forms to your feet, then adjustments are added every two weeks and sent by mail.  This adjustment process is much like a dentist that tightens teeth.  Contact Steve Montes at Montes Orthopedic at 520-512-0228