Orthopedics Community
ganglion cyst in wrist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ganglion cyst in wrist?

I have had a volar ganglion cyst for about 5 months- it is about 1 cm in diameter on the inside of my wrist, with the radial artery running right through it.

I didn't begin experiencing pain until august. this led me to visit my orthopedic surgeon, who said that surgery was the only option for removal (the cyst cannot be drained due to proximity to the radial artery). I opted to wait on surgery, hoping the cyst would go away on its own.

since then, I have accidentally burst the cyst twice, only to have it return larger, deeper, and more painful than before. my hand/wrist is actually starting to grow numb.

has anyone had such a stubborn ganglion cyst before? is there any chance now (after persisting for so long and returning so admantly) that it will ever go away on ifs own?

also, in regards to the surgery- how painful/expensive is it?

thanks so much  
Avatar dr m tn
Hi, the usual treatment of ganglion cyst includes Aspiration and steroid injection which alleviates 80% of ganglion cysts, but there is a high recurrence rate. Symptomatic cysts that do not respond to steroid injection can be excised, taking the entire stalk out otherwise they will reoccur.