Orthopedics Community
groin pops or clicks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

groin pops or clicks

why does my grion or hip click or pop when i do an exercise called "opening the gate" when i lift my left leg and move it sideways, and i have had on and off groin pain for the last year after playing hockey.
could it be my hip flexors?
but it hapens in the same place so i feel like it could be something to do with the joint or bone in my hip, because the click is panefull when it happens.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The hip joint is one of the more difficult joints in the body to dislocate .This is due to the functional anatomy of the hip joint. It is a highly mobile joint with a wide range of movement and is supported quite effectively by several ligaments. Thus, it requires much force like high impact sports or accidents to cause the dislocation.

In hockey, do other players land at you( maybe tackle)?

Do you engage in other sports like football, rugby,basketball?

I suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon for a full assessment. An xray may be done.CT Scan and MRI may aid in visualizing soft tissues.The pain  you are experiencing seems to be sports related.It is possible that you have overly abducted ( moved sideways) your thighs and legs during the exercise and moved the joint which may produce the click.

Do you have trouble walking ? Is there a change in your posture or gait?

Keep us posted.Try taking pain relievers for the pain to prevent further discomfort.