Orthopedics Community
growing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

growing

Hey there all, I have the weird question. I was wondering if there is any way to make someone taller. I was told by someone that there are ways but I didn't believe them and was trying to find out the truth.
I googled it and things did come up but of course it looked fony.

Can someone tell me if this is true?

Thanks a bunch
KD
Hi!

Hmm...  As far as I know, your stature depends heavily on your genetics and diet.  If your body is starved of calcium, for instance, your bones won't be able to grow as much as they need to and by the time your growth points stop, you might not have reached your full height.

So in essence, you can get yourself to grow faster but if your genetic limit is 5 foot, you will only reach 5 foot as it is coded into your cells to stop growing at a certain point.

(P.S.  I am 6 foot 8 ... the 6FT2 was a spelling mistake ... and it ain't as fun as you would think t to be)

Well I'm not too short, I'm 5'4 but I do believe I stunted my growth by lifting heavy things as a kid... I was the only girl and i was a daddys girl so I always tried to join him and my brother in lifting weights.
i know that sounds weird but I've always felt like i was suppose to be taller, my family is all tall.
Soo.. can someone continue to grow by taking in the correct nutrients even when they hit the "end of their growth point"??

I'm satisfied with my height but won't mind a a bit more =)

And I'd have to say you are tall!! but I know a lot of tall individuals, some can't stand it and some love it... Although I hate to stand next to them because I always feel so short =)
P.S thanks for the help!
Oh sorry i meant to ask one more thing... How do you know what your genetic code is, can you get blood work to figure that out?
Hmm... not too sure.  I don't know wether you have seen it, but IBM & National Geographic has some sort of campain called "The human gene project"?   You write in, they send you a package with a mouth swab, you swab the inside of your mouth and they add it to their database and see if they can correlate you to other entries in the database and possibly trace your genetic origins.

The problem tho, is that your genetics is a mixture between your mom and dad's.  If your dad's genetics say you should be tall, it doesn't mean you are going to be tall as your mom's genetics might say you should be short.  Even if you are short, you might still have tall children as your dad's genes might influence their height and not your or your husbands and for that reason, genetics is very tricky.  I have a condition whereby one of my gene's are defective (Causing my tall stature) but they wouldn't even be able to assertain that through a gene test as the mutations is too varied.

There is obviously the option of steroids and such but that is dangerous as steroids affects many more systems in your body and can be very unpredictable.  Also, your height might become incompatible with your body  (And come to think of it, that might even cause an artificial version of the condition I have...)
HMMM very interesting, My BF is tall so If we were to have kids we would probably have a combination of tall and short, But thats no matter I'd just be happy to have healthy kids. I would never do steroids, I thought there was something more natural that could add an inch maybe but all well. .. just need to be thankful I'm healthy right!

Thanks for all the help and knowledge

KD