hand fracture post surgical pins
I just recently had surgery on my hand for a common "boxer's fracture" (comminuted/spiral fracture of the 5th metacarpal) and I got 6 pins put into my hand... I was told that if the pins move its bad and Id have to have surgery again so Im not using that hand but Im scared I might be moving it at night when I sleep and my hand reflexes keep twitching too (especially when I yawn and stretch) ...my question is how fragile are these pins exactly?..Im assuming/hoping just these tiny movements [I cannot control] are normal and fine and Im just being paranoid for fear of another surgery. Also will the swelling ever stop? I keep elevating it but I cant ice it. I try but the cold just wont penetrate through thr plaster splint. Any other ideas?
hi,
your swelling would take sometime to disappear. keep your hand elevated most of the time. The fracture should unite in 6 weeks time.
Welcome for any query