Orthopedics Community
hand fracture post surgical pins
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hand fracture post surgical pins

I just recently had surgery on my hand for a common "boxer's fracture" (comminuted/spiral fracture of the 5th metacarpal) and I got 6 pins put into my hand... I was told that if the pins move its bad and Id have to have surgery again so Im not using that hand but Im scared I might be moving it at night when I sleep and my hand reflexes keep twitching too (especially when I yawn and stretch) ...my question is how fragile are these pins exactly?..Im assuming/hoping just these tiny movements [I cannot control] are normal and fine and Im just being paranoid for fear of another surgery. Also will the swelling ever stop? I keep elevating it but I cant ice it. I try but the cold just wont penetrate through thr plaster splint. Any other ideas?