Orthopedics Community
hand pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hand pain

1 week ago I accidentally hit my hand to our metal garden door. Since I was trying to open the stuck door at the time of the accident, my middle finger knuckle had taken the main blow. I put ice and used some anti-inflammatory cream and there is no swelling or bruising visible. The main problem is not moving my finger. There is only light pain with movement but when something touches on the skin just below the knuckle, I have shooting pains till my wrist. I went to a doctor here and the x-rays show no broken or fractured bones. I am new in this country and I don't speak very well Italian so I may not made myself clear but mainly the doctor only said "put ice". I think there is something wrong with nerves since when I put ice the pain becomes unbearable and pulsating towards even my elbow. Also it is my right hand and I am right handed it is impossible to avoid all contact. I don't know what to do or if I should go to a second doctor. If you can help I'd be very glad. Thanks.  
Tags: hand pain, help, hand
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You might have injured soft tissue by that blow. Even if you do not have a fracture you might have injured some tendons and muscles in the whole event.

Rest your hand, do not do excessive movements and take NSAIDs intermittently and apply ice packs.

If the symptoms continue beyond a week then go for an MRI and follow up with a hand specialist.

Take care!