Orthopedics Community
help with my pinky, please.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

help with my pinky, please.

last thursday, i dislocated my right pinky finger in two spots (the middle knuckle and the knuckle that connects my finger to my hand) and broke it under the middle knuckle. the doctor put it in a splint and thats it. it has been a week, the swelling hasnt gone down any, and when i bend the knuckle that connects my finger and my hand seems to pop out of place. you can see it and feel it. i have an appointment at the orthopedics tomorrow.

any ideas on what you think they will do?
Hi there!

The idea behind advising a splint is to avoid movement around the fracture/ subluxation site to aid in healing. The cast/ splint needs to be in place for atleast 4-6 weeks and taking the splint off and moving the finger isn’t a good idea in the first place. It would normally take a few weeks for the injury to heal and the swelling to come down. If appropriate alignment and stability can be achieved, most fractures/ dislocations would not require surgery. You could discuss the management in detail with your orthopedician. Meanwhile you may try some ice packs and NSAIDS for relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!