Orthopedics Community
herniated disc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

herniated disc

Hey all

About two years ago I was at work lifting things when I felt a jolt in my lower back, the jolt went from my head to my toes. It felt like my leg was on fire and it would go numb and if I was not holding on to something I would fall the pain in my lower back was unreal I felt like taking my own life it was the worst pain I have ever felt. Please keep in mind I am a health as can be 30 year old. Never was hurt never really saw doctors growing up. So I get a MRI the workmen comp's doctor say it is nothing just my L4 to L5 to  S1 is bulging and i should report to work in a week. The pain and fire/numbness is still there so the W.C. doctors sent me to get a EKG he said I was fine just a little lose in my left leg but since I had pain on my right side it doesn't count so he omit'd that part and said I was normal. So I find a back doctor and he looked at my MRI's and said I have a herniated disc L4/l5 level another doctor walked in the room and say the film on the light wall and said yea it's a herniated disc. So I sent a report to workmen's comp and they sent me to another doctor that doctor request I do a  myelography with I did, at the last second the doctor who was going to do it was pulled out the room and another doctor came in and did it. Now the myelography say's I have bulging at the L2/L3/L4/L5 but my S1 is great. I go back to my doctor and he stands by the herniated disc not bulging he couldn't believe they made me do that test and said it was the old way and less than 65% correct half the time. So last we I was getting out of the car went around the corner to get some pills and as I got out I felt 3 downward shifts in my lower back (that was the third time I couldn't feel my legs and I fell for the 100th time. My doctor wants to do the surgery and at this but I want to too.....Now I get a popping sound and the pain is worst than ever so will the pain/numbness ever go away? how good is a myelography? What was the 3 downward shifts I felt in my lower back???what the hell is that popping I am getting from lowerback area that is causing me more pain? someone please help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Go for an MRI and get it reported by an expert radiologist to clear all your doubts for a  proper diagnosis. Also go for an examination near a neurosurgeon to help you diagnose it properly.

With lumbar vertebra involved you will have symptoms in your legs.

As you are young follow a proper conservative therapy regime like weight loss, proper foot wear, following ergonomics, exercises to increase the strength of your back muscles, steroid injections, anti inflammatory drugs.

If these do not work you can consider surgery after a second opinion.

Take care!
Hey all

So I saw 4 different Back doctors and they say I have 3 herniated discs,  a small tear above and below L4/l5 and a major tear at the L4/L5. All Doctors feel I need surgery but I am truly scared. The pain is really bad and sometimes I can not walk seat..... anything. How long does it take for the pain to go away? Almost 3 years now and I feel worst...numbness/tearing/burning in my legs etc...Does a herniated disc ever go away? or will I be like this for life? Also I had a EMG and it says there is nothing wrong with me but all doctors clearly see the 3 herniated disc's. So what gives with the EMG? Does anyone know of any case studies were a EMG is totally wrong? Will I still be in pain for years to come?---------- HELP PLEASE!