Orthopedics Community
hidden scapholunate ganglion cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hidden scapholunate ganglion cyst

I work with a specific massage technique for the treatment of advanced lymphoedema, It is gentle but requires a lot of flexion, extension and abduction of the wrist, also a lot of traction when bandaging the limb after treatment. I developed a chronic pain on my right wrist which was now diagnosed after MRI scan as a hidden scapholunate ganglion cyst. It was said by the specialist that it is not work related but could have been aggravated by my work. I have never felt any problems before on my wrist and I'm finding challenging to believe that the condition is not caused by my work. Any views are appreciated
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hi buddy,
well whatever your doctor told is right. All joints have a lubrication mechanism which is aided by synovial fluid. SO scaphoid and lunate also have this mechanism. Due to high movement involved in this joint, the excess production of fluid, instead of getting self absorbed, has found an alternative way out , and hence is getting collected elsewhere. This has taken a form of a cyst.
Treatment is simple. If no problem, keep it untouched. If causing problem, get it excised. But please don' get it removed just for cosmetic purpose.
regards
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply and your explanation of the ganglion cyst.. I live in UK and work for the National Health Service.  I'm not a doctor, nor a nurse but a massage therapist. I work with massage since 2003 and I have never had any problems with my wrist. I started this new job in March 2008 for a specific technique treating lymphoedema and by September 2008 the pain started. The volume of work was imense and the pain started resolving after shift. By October 2008 it became constant and spreading throung my hand and arms. December I went on sick pay and only this week I had the diagnosis of a ganglion after MRI scan. It is not visible but the area became very tender. My problem is because the doctor says it is not work related, It can't be right. Unless I had ganglions before and they were agravated by the work? But this way I would have felt pain from the start of my employment. With your explanation of a ganglion cyst I understand that high movement involved in the joint could be the cause making sense of a work related injury. My believe is that I have developed this condition working and I'm determined to investigate if this can be true. It has been very desincouraging so I am very gratefull for your time already given. Best regards, Prospero Jnr
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hi buddy,
thanks for your appreciation. you are free to ask more queries. Don't be discouraged at this. i will be ok. Sometimes the fluid disappears, well sometimes not.But if it pains, then we can consider about surgery, otherwise it's not required.
regards and god bless you.
I am going through the same issue with my employer. I am a hospital housekeeper and developed a ganglion cyst on the curve of my thumb where my mop rubs or is gripped while I clean and it unfortunately has caused me to have severe back pain because I have had to change the way I hold the mop. My employer however doesn't feel as though it is work related. I think it is completely obvious. How did you resolve your conflict?