Orthopedics Community
hip and back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hip and back pain

At times while I'm walking my leg feels like it actually pops out of the hip joint. (I'm sure its not but) When this happens its very painful and it almost causes to me fall. I have to grab ahold of something to keep from falling. I have hip pain and back pain. I have severe back pain when awakening in the mornings. The pain is intense for at least an hour. After up and going it ususally subsides. But if I sit for while and then go to get up the back and hip joint pain is bad.I cant stand straight up while rising ,so Im all bent over and have to slowly get to a standing position. Im 45 yr old female .I also am a clogger. Please help. Ive been to orthepedic doctors and everythime I have an x-ray nothing shows. Would an MRI be the next step?                                      pebblez
Have your sacroiliac joint checked out. I have been having terrible low back and hip pain with sciatic like pain for 5 months now. I was finally diagnosed 2 days ago with a problem with that joint. Still have no idea about treatment but have done 6 weeks of chiro and 3 months of physio on that area with no releif and wore a S I  belt for 1 month all increased the pain. I went for a injection in that joint and it made the pain go away for 1 hr no pain at all. But then it all came back but they said now they can confirm it is that area. Good luck to you its the hardest thing I have gone through and its still not over. If anyone does know of a good treatment other than the ones I have tried. Please any advice would be great.
Oh and by the way a MRI and A CT Did not show any problems, Nor did a nerve conduction study.
I also feel the same thing, someone told me to look into going to Vail, Co to see a doctor there that specializes in hip problems. The one thing I know for sure is that an MRI will not show any problems if your hip is actually what I would call subluxing, which isn't what it is called for the hip but it is when the hip kind of slips out of place more like instability of the hip joint, and hate to say this but it is common amoung dancers, equestrians, and other sports in which the hips are involved.  You may want to research this and find out who in your area is familar with doing the type of MRI using a dye to help determine if it is the problem with your hip pain.  
I have severe back pain, that comes every once in a while.  The pain is usually the worst during the morning but lately it has been lasting for days.  The pain is so bad, it has me walking with a limp.  Sometimes the pain causes one of my left hips to ache, it almost feels like I am being shocked.  The pain is so severe it takes my breathe away.  The weird thing is I'm only 30.  I did break both of my hips when I was 15, and one of my legs is longer than the other, slightly.  The weird part is only my left hip hurts, when my back hurts.  What should I do?
Hello, I've been fight'n severe SI pain for over a yr now,...U can get steroid injections & radiofrequency procedures done every 3 or 4 months! I've had several, some have worked and others done nothing...but it can't hurt 2 try!!  Best wishes,Brandy
Hi Pebblez. I hope you found relief. I'd like to know. But I just saw that your post is from 2007. Are you still here? Thanks and blessings, Joe
Looking for answers myself.. My left hip felt as if it popped out of joint when I leaned back slightly with my feet planted firmly at the time. Caught myself on a chair and counter top or I would have gone down.. It hurt so bad and made me feel sick to my stomach. When I gather myself  together and pushed on the counter to stand straight up, I found I could not put weight on my left side.. Xray showed the hip not broken.. The same hip years earlier had an avulsion fracture, so I figuredit won't show unless a MRI is done..
Your symptoms sound similar to mine and I can only recommend you advocate for yourself!   My ultimate diagnosis is a labral tear & cycst...I am 53 female.  First MRI/XRAYs claimed negative but pain only got worse.  Multiple steroid injections (SI/Lumbar/S1) were no help finally pushed for another MRI and saw the tear/cyst 6 months later.  I believe doctors relied on the original MRI report rather than looking at the actual MRI.   I've found doctors tend to work in silos and often don't want to play detective.

Good Luck!