Orthopedics Community
hip bursitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hip bursitis

has anyone had any experience with hip bursitis? thanks!
Avatar dr m tn
Hip bursitis is a common problem that causes pain over the outside of the upper thigh. A bursa is a fluid filled sac that allows smooth motion between two uneven surfaces. For example, in the hip, a bursa rests between the bony prominence over the outside of the hip (the greater trochanter) and the firm tendon that passed over this bone. When the bursal sac becomes inflamed, each time the tendon has to move over the bone, pain results. Because patients with hip bursitis move this tendon with each step, hip bursitis symptoms can be quite painful.

Hip Bursitis Treatment
Ice an Injury
Anti-Inflammatory Medications
Cortisone Injection
Hi Doctor thanks for the excellent explanation of hip bursitis, I have had one set of injections the pain was greatly reduced for abt 6 weeks than returned even worse than originally is this common?
Also I am on oxycontin for DDD and this doesn't help at all with the hip bursitis can I ask why that would be?
I am only on 20mg would an increase help at all or not?
thank you so much
I had hip replacement  9 mos. ago and developed severe bursitis there.  Still having pain after 9 months.  I've had 6 wks of therapy, followed by 6 weeks (3 times a wk) acupuncture and more therapy.  Still having problems.  Wonder if this will go on forever?  I've gained 15 lbs.  I try to exercise in the pool, but sometimes this also irritates.  Do I rest totally, or continue to try to walk and pool it for exercise?  Who know!  Frustrated!!!!!