Orthopedics Community
how do i fix a fractured knuckle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

how do i fix a fractured knuckle?

About a month and a half ago I went to Vietnam to train for my martial arts. and I was punching the floor and hurt my middle finger's knuckle. It started to swell and I felt pain on my knuckle everytime I would barely touch it. And I've been rubbing on some asian remedy on it and it's helped a little bit with the pain, but it's still swollen pink and even though it doesn't hurt when you touch it anymore, throwing a punch at a bag or another person hurts my knuckle still. I would go to a doctor for this, but I don't have any insurance on me. Is there any way I could help it heal better other than taking pain killers, putting ice on my knuckle, and wrapping it up? (I'm not going to be using my hand for a while now since I wrapped it up)
I cracked my knuckle when I was drunk once. Just keep your hand wrapped up 24/7 if you want it to heal properly but very loose wrapping. The bandage is to prevent you from hitting it accidently and keep it warm. Don't do what I did and overdo it in order to prove to yourself that you can sill use it properly. It needs plenty of rest. In my opinion, the longer you have the bandage on the better. 2 months should be perfect but 1 month will do. This is a bit late for that though really. After that perform some clenching and unclenching hand techniques to stop it from stiffening up. You can perform this during the first month but I wouldn't recommend it. Get a lot of calcium (found in FRESH milk) and try some COLLAGEN tablets. Collagen is what the body uses to formulate bones. Stay away from the weights for a while. :-) STAY HEALTHY, FILTER YOUR WATER!! FLOURIDE IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU!! Especially in your case.
You really should get that looked at.  If you are still having swelling and it is pink possibly red from inflammation?  Is it warmer to the touch than your other knuckles?  Do you have full range of motion when opening and closing your hand?  
I cracked the top of my foot once when kicking something I shouldn't have. Again, the drink. I don't drink so much anymore. Anyway, I carried on bashing the punching bags at Thai Boxing regardless of the pain. This resulted in a red patch appearing on the foot. It went away after a while but came back every time I used the bags. I cannot stress enough to you the importance of REST!! I have a permanent bruise / discolouration of the skin on my foot now and I'm not sure if it ever did heal properly. Don't be afraid to take a lot of time off. You want it to heal properly.
My boyfriend was in a fight and he thinks he broke his middle fingers knuckle.It has swollen hugely and is very painful.i have warned him to go and get an x-ray but his father wont bring him to the hospital and that is his only way of transport.He is taking painkillers for the pain and has it bandaged up bu he is in a lot of pain.i dont no what to do cause i have told him that if he doesnt get it looked at then he wont heal properly.is there any way to help him besides going to the doctor?