Orthopedics Community
how long does it take to a stable compression fracture to heal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Dear Dr. I had a road accident on 28.07.2009. and entered a hospital for treatment in a Traumatology and Oropedic Ward. After an x-ray and check-up all over my body, doctors determined a fracture of L2. On the 3rd day of my treatment in the Orthopedic Ward doctors sent me for a native computer test of upper lumbar vertebrae and their disc positions. This is the result : The scanner graphic shows smoothened hollow back in the upper lumbar segment. The body of L2 is presented slightly lowered forwards to its front part. On its upper front part surface and more on the left a mono-fragment disconnection of the contour and wedged bones trabeculae are visible. The dorsal part of the body and the prediculuses of L2 are intact.
L1 and L3 and the canned discs do not show any traumatic changes. At all scanned levels the sizes and the shape of the vertebral canal are preserved.

Conclusion: Computer test data for stable compression fracture of the body of L2.

I was discharged on the 6th day of the fracture with course of illness -bed regime and consequent immobilization with improvement of my condition. My general condition was good, afibril and since then I am wearing a fabric corset for walking and sitting activity. I stayed in bad for 35 days without walking at all just seating for a few min per day as long as to keep my vestibular in some activity. The sharp pain I was feeling immediately after the accident subsided gradually for 3-4 days and I stopped taking  any analgesics.  In addition, from the 3rd day of my treatment I am doing some exercises in a laying down position of the body to stretch my muscles. I had a secondary check-up with the treating doctor on the 3rd of September. The x-ray  didn’t show any additional deformation of the vertebrae. I don’t have any complications or infirm symptoms.  He advised me to wear the corset for 90-100 days and to refrain from working 5-6 months. My next check-up is ant the end of November.  I am currently leaving in eastern Europe where individual approach and treatment is not a common practice. I am  29 years old and my occupation for the last 2 years was flight attendant . I am working abroad and  my health and the time are precious. If you could give me any advise when should I start active physiotherapy, how long will have to wear the corset and how long will take in my case to recover completely? When should I resume duty? I am doing everything possible to maintain a healthy  life at the moment – walking, dancing, not bending forward, eating and sleeping  well. What really bothers me is to get used to the corset i am wearing, makes my upper body so compressed and the still plank at the back on the other hand causes stiffness to my muscles. If I take it off for a second I fell much relieved . I would appreciate any help. Thanks for advance.