Orthopedics Community
i hurt my patella

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

i hurt my patella

i hurt my patella about 3 weeks ago i completely had my bottom part of my left knee shift completely to the left side of my knee to the point it was pushing out my skin. when i went to the hospital they took xrays and they said nothing broke. three weeks later i cant bend my knee very easily and its swelled up horribly. it just seems to do nothing but get worse daily i dont have the money to go see a doctor and no insurence. is there anything i can do at home to help it get better. i have to do alot of running after a 1yr old baby. my husband works and i am the only one home with him so i need my knee back and in a hurry please help
Tags: patella
Hi there!

Well, while x-rays can detect must bone injuries these cannot detect injuries to the internal knee structures and hence the possibility cannot be ruled out. Other than injuries other possibilities may include infection, inflammations etc. It is best advised to consult an orthopedician for an evaluation for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try resting the knee and applying some ice-packs to reduce the swelling. OTC NSIADS may also be used for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!