Orthopedics Community
infected knee bursa or gout?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

infected knee bursa or gout?

My 79 year old Dad fell on his knee lightly and had some swelling. He was wearing long thick sweat pants and there was no bruise or laceration. The swelling around his knee is fairly symmetrical in all directions. There is not swelling in one particular area that can be distinguished.  His knee remained swollen for a few days and was feeling better then took a turn for the worse. The last few days his knee became more painful and last night his foot became swollen as was his whole leg down from the knee to the toes. The knee has been hot to touch but not that red since it started. His foot looks swollen and reddish now also.  He's also prone to gout having had a few gout attacks recently.  We took him to a doctor and they did a blood test from his arm (not his knee)  and x-ray. Nothing on the x-ray. They said from the blood test (from his arm)  that he does not have an infection.  His uric acid level was 7.1.  He is not running a fever.   Is it likely to be gout from the description I've presented or likely to be an infected bursa? Or something else?

Thank you to anybody who responds,
Hi there!

With the description the first possibility that would need to be ruled out is a DVT. If a DVT has been ruled out in addition to infection; other possibilities that may need to be considered include stress fractures, dislocations, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci, inflammations, arthritis, gout, chondromalacia, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures, patellar dislocation, cyst formation, growths/ masses, nerve injuries etc;
       While gout is a high possibility other possible causes may need to be considered as well. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would suggest resting the leg. Ice-packs/ warm compresses and tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!