infection after knee surgery
My husband had day surgery 2 weeks ago Monday to remove some cartlidge from his knee. On Wednesday we went back to the surgeon as he had swelling, sever pain and body aches. After a couple blood tests we went back on the following Monday and they drained some fluid to test and found that he had an infection caused by skin. They did a second surgery on Tuesday night to clean out and have him on antibiotics. He is on hydra-morphine, celebrex and iv antibiotics every 8 hours. He is starting to feel very nauseaus, sick and has chills and fever feelings. I have checked his temperature and it seems okay. Is it possible the antibiotics are not working? Or could all these drugs be making him feel this way?
Hello!

Infection after any surgery is the most common complication. You have to maintain complete hygiene and also take appropriate sensitive antibiotics.

Yes, if the antibiotics do not work they will change into more sensitive antibiotics.

You have to ask his surgeon to send some of the drained knee fluid for culture sensitivity and depending on the report change into appropriate antibiotics if required.

Remember it will take 2-3 days to respond and the best indications are his pain and fever will subside.

Take care!