Orthopedics Community
internal bleeding in my knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

internal bleeding in my knee

I have internal bleeding in my right knee which has been going on for 3 months. I am a 59 year old male living in England and have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 21.I have no other health problems. Despite many aspirations (sometimes using compression bandages,) the bleeding will not stop. It is so painfull that I have not been able to walk more than a few steps for months. I have been to see haematology specialists, rheumatology consultants,orthapedic surgeons (who have perfomed arthroscopies ) and nobody has ever seen a knee (that has has got some damage due to r/a), continue to bleed. I have now agreed with the surgeon to have a replacement knee but he still cannot assure me that this will stop the bleeding. Has anyone out there any ideas on where the blood is coming from and how to make it stop?
1.Tearing of blood vessels due to RA can lead to internal bleeding and rapid swelling of the knee joint.
2.Surgery is option.
Take care!
Many thanks for your reply . I now understand that this knee replacement seems to be the only answer to my problem and will wait for the surgeon to give me  
a date for surgery. Regards Paul