Orthopedics Community
knee and calf pain after total knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had a right total knee replacement in Aug. 2012 (6mo. ago) and I was doing great until Oct.. Pain started on the left side and behind the knee.  It has progressivley getting worse.  My surgeon says nothing is wrong and my pain is questionable.  It is now Jan. 2013 and the pain is intense.  I am limpling again and its excrutiating pain to straighten and bend the knee.  It throbs.  No infections.  I had a recent CT scan because they said I could not have an MRI.  Everything is in place with no other problems except some noticeable effusion.  My calf is stiff and also painful.  It hurts to rotate my ankle.  I have done extensive physical therapy, ice, rest, tyleon, IB, massage and massage prescription lotion with medication to no avail.  I cry in private cause everyone thinks I am faking.  No one will prescribe pain meds even to just get me to the doctor.  I also do low impact knee exercises to keep it moving.  Someone told me of a possible tear? that a CT cannot see.  Am I crazy?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. With structural issues ruled out and effusion being present, possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammation, neuro-muscular causes, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc. Though a CT is not particularly sensitive to detecting tears, this is unlikely to be a complete tear with a normal physical exam and a partial tear should not be a reason for chronic excruciating pain. I would suggest resting the knee for a few days and avoiding weight bearing. You could also use some warm compresses and tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS for pain relief. This should be followed by physiotherapy gradually to improve muscle strength. If conservative management does not seem to be helpful, you may seek a review with your treating orthopedician for alternative modes of management and if required consult with a pain management specialist may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!