Orthopedics Community
knee bone is bruised!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

knee bone is bruised!

hello. so i am a dancer. i dance every style, every week, for about 10 hours a week. maybe even more. i have noticed that my left knee, lower back,and hip had been hurting me in summer '09 around august. i didnt let it bother me too much. I kept dancing and doing my daily routine. Then i had really been feeling the pain around February '10. I couldnt rebound from a jump, support myself, and my knee always gave out on me. It is already April and i am still suffering. I just recently took an MRI scan. the docters told me that i have a bruised bone all the way from my hip down to my knee. I am not really sure what a 'bruised bone' means. Is it a big deal? And what can i do to treat it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

This shows that your femur is bruised and for this you would need rest and application of ice packs regularly with intermittent use of NSAIDs.

You muscles and other soft tissue attachments might also be bruised as well and also there might be some stress fracture and inflammation with the continuous physical exercise and the dance routine you have undergone till now.

Eat healthy and have diet rich in protein and calcium like milk, meat etc.

Take care!