knee fusion
Just curious. in 1971 doctors wanted to fuse my knee due to multiple ligament tears and fractured- displacedknee cap. A young Doc who sat in on Mickey Mantels  knee surgery in Houston talked the
Head of Ortho into letting  him discuss with us the option of trying to repair everything ( No ACL replacement at that time ) and see what happens.  We agreed and although I had deal with constant pain and had the knee drained dozens of times  from 1971 to  1990 I had somewhat normal mobility
In 1990 I had knee recostruction and has worked out well for 16 years ( although now  I finally need the knee replacement )  My question is this--If they had gone ahead with the fusion would they have been able to do the ACL / Ligament reconstruction and this knee replacement surgery????

If  No I am so glad I took my chances. ( The young first year doc--1990-- is now the head of Ortho
at a large hospital )
Knee fusion surgery is a last resort for any knee related problem. It is a salvage procedure rather a management of knee arthritis.
I am sorry to say but if you would have gone ahead with knee fusion then, doctors would not have been able to do ligament reconstruction or knee replacement surgery.
The anatomy of knee or knee joint configuration would have changed after the knee fusion surgery to do any sort of surgery after that. Yes I think an orthopedic surgeon experienced in knee replacement after knee fusion could possibly with difficulty could have done it.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hi, I have a torn ACL and medial meniscus.  One of the many doctors who I have consulted with suggested knee fusion, and I balked at him.  Every other doctor I saw prior to (and after) him suggested knee replacement.  I am really interested in just having everything repaired.  I don't want all that hardware in my knee.  I'm only 45.  Do you remember the name of the doctor who did your surgery and the hospital he is currently the head of orthopedics in?  I will travel as much as necessary to find the right doctor.  Thanks.  Shelley
Always go conservative and keep knee replacement as the last option.

Knee replacement is done to improve the quality of life of an individual when there is no option left. Take care!
My brother has been told to have his knee fused rather then iknee replacement, based on large amount of scar tissue, I do not understand why?  Wouldn't it make more sense to try knee replacement first?  It is my understanding that fusion is ued primarily after replacement has failed.  I want to make an informed decision but am not sure where to get qualified information.  Can you offer insight as to where I can obtain more information?  Thank you for your time,  Judith Velasco
im a 42 woman i had 2 total knee and 2 minulpitation on my right knee now im gona have to have more surgery on it its all swoolen and black there gona fuse the knee how long is the hospital stay and therepy
Ive had 6 Knee ops after a quad rupture four years ago and basicaly have never bent my knee since, I am due for a fusion in two weeks. As i have not bent it in so long and have lived with that leg dissability, my leg has been in a straight leg brace for at least two years and my leg is half the size of my left. will the operation affect me majorly and also what is the hospital stay times around about and recovery times, many thanks. 31 year old male.
hi did u have fusion i had right knee fusion 5 months ago and im really struggling thanks