knee mensicus
8/29

Hello:   is it certain, or at least a possibility, that damage to the medial meniscus from an accident, will result in some level of permanent degeneration, even if there is little pain months later after therapy and meds?  In other words, is the knee ever the same after an injury, especially for someone in their 50's?

In 2010, after an accident, an MRI showed mild degeneration (which I understand could mean a tear, even though the MRI report showed none).  There was pain and limited movement.  After a few months of therapy, I regained most movement and pain subsided.  Although every once in a while, it would hurt or tighten, at which point I would repeat therapy myself.  
Hi!
If there was no tear then the degenerative changes could be due to osteoarthritis. This is the reason, the pain or tightness re-appears. Active physiotherapy can reduce the symptoms but cannot stop the degenerative changes. So, you need to keep doing the physiotherapy exercises as often as you can. This will help in smooth movement of the joint. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.