Orthopedics Community
knee replacement 5 years post op with recent pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had a total R knee replacement June 2005. I have not had any real difficulties with it until the last 6-9 months. I have two issues of concern. First, it seems as if the knee joint gets into a "funky" position sometimes when going from a sitting to standing position. So, when I put weight on it, I get a sharp, stabbing pain in the joint itself. The only way I've found to relieve this pain is to kick or shake the leg out to the side (kind of like the hokey pokey only out to the side). After a few "shakes" the knee settles into the correct position and all is well. Also to clarify, my PCL had to be replaced with a patella tendon transplant during the original knee injury (20 years ago) and was left in place with the knee replacement. Is this problem common? What could be the causes and possible treatment options? Second problem is that I have begun to have “pressure” pain in the fibula, mostly during weight bearing. It is occurs on the top of the fibula joint (where I assume the joint replacement meets the fibular) and on the exterior “bow” of the fibula. Again, what could be the causal factors and possible treatments? I do see my orthopedic doctor on a regular basis and have an upcoming appointment. I like to be informed and would appreciate your input. FYI, I am not obese and I refrain from any impact exercise. I am a teacher and am on my feet for extended periods of time. Thanks.