Orthopedics Community
knee sprain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

knee sprain

i fell in sort of a splits position with my weight on my knee during a football game.  There was a popping feeling and a sharp pain.  I am walking and jogging fairly well.  when i fully extend the knee or bend it back it gets painful.  The muscles above the knee is where it really hurts and somewhat to the outside and behind the knee.  The doc called it a knee sprain, but because my knee feels stable i havent got an mri.  My question is whether or not the injury sounds severe and how i can speed up recovery time.  
Hello Dear,

A knee sprain means injury of one of the ligaments around the knee joint. You should find out which ligaments are injured which will decide the possible treatments and rehabilitation necessary. The popping knee may be due to Discoid meniscus which is an abnormally shaped meniscus within the knee joint.
The discoid meniscus can cause problems, usually a popping sensation with pain over the outside part of the knee joint.
If there is a popping sensation, then conservative treatment consisting of exercises and stretching can be performed. If these treatments do not relieve the symptoms, arthroscopic surgery on the discoid meniscus would be helpful.
Best