Orthopedics Community
lateral facet of the patella & medial meniscus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

MRI results: Area of high signal within the articular cartilage on the lateral facet of the patella. The surface of the cartilage was difficult to assess but there is though to be some irregularity present. There is a small vertical longitudinal tear in the central portion of the medial meniscus.

I have full range of motion in the right knee. Walking is not sore. The right knee has never swollen. The knee caught while running and cycling but the pain was minor. Cycling stresses the knee out more than running. I have stopped running and cycling.

What does high signal and irregularity mean? Is it just inflammation? Is treatment just rest? Will the tear in the medial meniscus repair itself or is the blood supply poor in the central meniscus? If I need surgery can I get it sutured together? If surgery trims away some cartilage will this lead to arthritis? I have heard about injecting blood into the joint to help it heal. Is this possible?