Orthopedics Community
left elbow pain/inner arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

left elbow pain/inner arm

Hello - I am having left elbow pain - a recent emg showed minimal slowing of the ulnar nerve. The pain/discomfort is constant in the inner elbow area above the bone and radiates up the inner part of the arm for a couple of inches. The Dr's are trying to determine if the pain is just related to the ulnar nerve -possible compression, nerve transposition needed? -or whether the irritation/pain is more medial epicondylitis(golfers elbow) or even both. I am 46 yo female - and trying to decide if moving the ulnar nerve - decompression/transposition -surgery would benefit me or if it would not be helpful since the pain is in the upper inner arm too? possibly cortisone injection instead to try first?  I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow ---but scheduled for the surgery on 8/2/10 - -how do I know if the tendons are more the problem than the nerve? I assume the MRI will help - I am just very nervous about making the right decision. I am left-handed and my job involves computer work full-time. Your assistance and advice would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

MRIs will diagnose any soft tissue complications involving your tendons, ligaments or muscles so discuss with your orthopedician and radiologist after the MRI.

Take care!
Thanks so much for the quick response! The MRI was negative for tendon or muscle involvement - therefore ruled out medial epicondylitis. The pain is all related to the ulnar nerve - thus cubital tunnel syndrome/ulnar neuritis diagnosis confirmed. Surgery is scheduled for 8/2/10 - thanks again for your help! It is so nice to have this type of forum available for assistance. Your expertise is appreciated by many. :)