Orthopedics Community
left knee issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

left knee issues

For years i have been suffering from dull aching feeling to sudden sharp stabbing pains in my left knee, esp. when i have my knee bend in a cross leg, crouching on the floor, standing to long, walking a lot. i find that i am more bed ridden than before. i also notice cold effects it to the root of the knee, and i am getting a bruised feeling on the MCL on the bottom part of the knee, whilst odd stabbing pains running from there to the ankle. i once had total numbness, from the mid thigh to the ankle for about 3 hours. i have been to doctors and they can not find anything on the scans. i had an op on the knee 2007 where they removed two tiny torn pieces of the cartridge, and scraped the rest clean. at times the bottom of the knee, just below the knee cap, the cartridge feels bruised and sore.. i take anti-inflammatory tablets and paracetamol by the loads, averaging from 4000 to 8000 milligrams of paracetamol a day, and about 9 tablets of ibuprofen a day to handle the pain. right now, constant burning sensation running up and down the right side of my left leg, knee to ankle and i an lying in my bed typing on this ipad.

please advise me as i think my doctors, and i have been to many, are just trying to male money.
Hi!
Burning in the outer part of leg from knee to ankle can be due to pinched nerves in the lower back or at the knee level. This can be diagnosed by nerve conduction studies or by MRI. At times it is also due to low sodium, potassium, magnesium or calcium in the body. Hence serum levels of these electrolytes should also be checked. Dehydration is another frequent cause. Generalized weakness, increased weight, diabetic neuropathy, any peripheral neuropathy and severe anemia can all cause lower leg pains. If the pain comes on keeping the knee bent for some time, then it could be due to Patellofemoral syndrome. This happens due to mal-alignment of the knee cap on bending the knee (and hence any imaging study has to be taken with the knee bent). Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.