Orthopedics Community
leg pain after knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

leg pain after knee replacement

I had "Total knee replacement" 2 months ago.  I have had "pain in my leg" since I had the " and the doctor says
there is nothing wrong.  The pain goes "down my calf, behind my knee and a little above my knee."  Once in awhile
it gets slightly red and warm.  Pain killers really don;t do anything for this.  I don't know what to do. I had no pain
before the surgery except for the knee.  I want to go back to work but with this pain I can't even lay my leg down on
the bed without some pain.  Sometimes its worse than other times.  What can I do?  sjhuhta

This discussion is related to On-going Pain after Knee replacement surgery.
If the redness and warmth continues I would certainly go back to the doctor and insist they draw out some fluid to check for infection.  It's not that difficult to do, and is really important to  rule out.  infections around a replaced knee can be not only dangerous to your health but is very difficult to medicate, and may need another replacement to cure.  
My sister has had 2 TKP in the first knee she suffered RSDS, part of the symptoms of that was redness, hot and shinny, you could suggest this to your doctor. Lynsey
Please return to your doctor for further testing. If the knee replacement is infected (a common problem) a bone scan is needed. It was explained to me that  infection encapsulates itself and adheres to the implant. The fluid will remain clear and not detect a problem. I have had several infections. The first step is blood work with attention to the sed. rate, CRP and white count followed by a bone scan. Hopefully there is a simpler solution to your problem. Good luck GrannyLiz
I have had second knee replacment in My 2010 I have no strenth in uper quard knee looks like a big stump and warm to touch lower leg pain in calf and in front of leg. After i had surgery had a big black and blue mark in front of my leg where i have pain now not sure what that is from. Is this common things in knee replacements ?