Orthopedics Community
leg turning blue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

leg turning blue

Four months ago I had an ankle fusion.  Now my foot and sometimes up to my knee, turn blue and the veins start to stick out.  I have already had a test a couple of months ago for DVT, neg.  Last week I hurt my big toe, went to PCP he started I had an infection in my big toe; same foot as fusion.  Show I be concerned with the blue color?

Hello Dear,

The blue foot is probably due to decreased blood supply. Infection could be one of the causes. What have been the results for the DVT test? Do also have any associated fever?
It might be also due to varicose veins.
What is your age?

Usually, varicose veins and telangiectasia (spider veins) are normal veins that have dilated under the influence of increased venous pressure. They are the visible surface manifestation of an underlying syndrome of venous insufficiency. Venous insufficiency syndromes allow venous blood to escape from its normal flow path and flow in a retrograde direction down into an already congested leg.
Mild forms of venous insufficiency are merely uncomfortable, annoying, or cosmetically disfiguring, but severe venous disease can produce severe systemic consequences and can lead to loss of life or limb.
Most patients with venous insufficiency have subjective symptoms that may include pain, soreness, burning, aching, throbbing, cramping, muscle fatigue, and "restless legs." Over time, chronic venous insufficiency leads to cutaneous and soft tissue breakdown that can be extremely debilitating.
Chronic venous insufficiency eventually produces chronic skin and soft tissue changes that begin with mild swelling. The syndrome eventually progresses to include discoloration, inflammatory dermatitis, recurrent or chronic cellulitis, cutaneous infarction, ulceration, and even malignant degeneration. Chronic nonhealing leg ulcers, recurrent phlebitis, and variceal bleeding are serious problems that are caused by venous insufficiency and can be relieved by the correction of venous insufficiency.
New varicose veins may appear after an unrecognized episode of DVT that causes damage to venous valves. Such patients have some underlying risk factors for thromboembolism and are at especially high risk for recurrence.
The incidence and prevalence of venous insufficiency disease depend on the age and sex of the population. Varicosities and telangiectasia are more common in women than in men at any age. In the Tecumseh community health study, varicosities were observed in 72% of women aged 60-69 years but in only 1% of men aged 20-29 years.
The most useful modalities available for venous imaging are contrast venography, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and color-flow duplex ultrasound.
(Refer: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2788.htm#section~workup)

Your physician would guide you more on this.

Best