Orthopedics Community
long term left foot problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

long term left foot problems

Dear Dr.
  My name is Melinda and I am 24 years old. About 3-4 years ago I suddenly had a lot of pain and extreme swelling in my left foot. I waited about 2 weeks and went to the Dr and they said I had sprained it. Well when I thought it had healed it would suddenly start swelling and have a lot of pain in the front of my ankle and hurt all the way down the top of my foot into my toes. I was unable to point my toes or barely walk. Well this continued and I went to the DR again and he tells me my foot is just fat. At this point I have not had an xray. So about a year and a half passes and It starts up again. At this point I am employed at an orthopeadic clinic and the Dr there says its tibial tendonitis and prescribes me a steroid for the swelling. After I complete my dose pack it is perfect and no swelling. Two days later, back to square one. Currently my foot stays slightly swollen all the time. Now there is absolutley no pain or tenderness. However my big toe is a purpleish reddish color all the time and the skin is very tight around the base of the toe. I can not bend it like i can the toe on my right foot. I also have a bunion on my left foot (problem foot). My other toes are slighty swollen at the end of the day but I sleep with it propped up. I have tried NSAIDS and OTC meds to no avail. I have soaked it, iced it, elevated it, rested it......I am not an overly active person. I am active but not an athlete by any means. I just had a check up and bloodwork and they said I am extremely healthy. PLEASE help!!!!!

~Melinda

This discussion is related to Swollen foot.
I am sorry you are going through all the foot problems. I searched for almost three years for my answers MRI's, EMG's, x-rays, bone scans, and even went to a pain clinic for nerve blocks none of the specialists I saw had any answers other than nerve pain (one included a well known foot and ankle surgeon from teaching hospital.) I even had two plus years of physical therapy. I also used crutches on and off for two plus years

Finally a friend recommended a great chiropractor. He found that I had a chronically sprained ankle that was pinching nerves and it was also making my muscles work in the wrong order. It has been a little over year since I started seeing him. I am off my crutches and my pain meds (I used three different kinds). I recommend that first you get an MRI (at least an ultrasound) ,maybe even a bone scan, of your foot/ankle. Then if that is clear see if you can find a good chiropractor who knows how to treat feet.

I hope this helps and you get the help you need,
achilles2
Thank you for your advise. My family has a lot of circulation problems and I am sort of scared to go to the Dr because I am afraid its going to be serious. I am going to schedule an apt with a foot specialist. Thanks again
Hi there!
Well, this does sound like a chronic inflammation which may be tendinitis, arthritis, bursitis, fascitis etc. Without an examination it would be difficult to specify a cause. You have also mentioned a purplish discolouration of your toe; which could result from inadequate blood supply, circulation issues, vasculitis etc; particularly in diabetics. I would suggest an evaluation by an orthopedician for an appropriate diagnosis which may include a complete physical examination and a few tests such as imaging studies to rule out other causes like growths, dislocations, fractures etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly. For chronic inflammations management options usually include anti-inflammatory medications and/ or physiotherapy and simple measures like avoiding standing for long hours, avoiding sitting cross legged, keeping the foot slightly elevated while lying down, ice pack application, wearing soft comfortable flat shoes etc. For foot pain due to plantar fasciitis, shoe inserts and stretches may help. Meanwhile you may try some NSAIDS to help relieve the pain.
Hope this helps.

Take care!