Orthopedics Community
lung cancer/sternum tumor
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

lung cancer/sternum tumor

I am facing surgery to have the upper third of my sternum removed due to lung cancer.  the cancer seems to be only in the chest cavity, with little or no lung involvement.  I am a breast cancer survivor as well tho this is definitely not breast cancer.  I pushed to find out what was wrong basically because of the pain in my chest wall and shoulders.  It will be at least another week before the surgery can take place but my breathing is getting more challenging daily and I haven't slept in a reclining position for almost two months.  I am really worried about the long term disability of having a section of my chest wall the size of my palm removed. but I am facing certain death in a very short time without it so I will live with the disability and/or pain. I guess my biggest question is what happens with the rib ends that no longer anchor into the sternum?  How does the upper rib cage remain stable? Is it nerve pain, bone pain, joint pain or all of the above?