Orthopedics Community
meniscus tear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

meniscus tear

My son is an athlete and he recently tore his lateral meniscus on his right knee. He is 15 years old and after seeing the MRI the doctor believes that he needs to have arthoscopic surgery to repair the meniscus or remove the tore part. I have been told by several people that the repair doesn't always work and that removal is a viable option. He plays shortstop in baseball and quarterback in football, so this has occured early on in the baseball season and spring football is just around the corner. I know that repairing it requires a lot more recoup time and the success rate of people that have had it isn't very good, in fact most have to end up getting it removed later anyway. He is not sure on how bad the tear is, just that it has flipped. What is your advice on what we should do and how long would he be out? How will this effect him in the future as far as reinjuring it? Will he be at greater risk of injury if the meniscus is removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated as he is scheduled for surgery very soon and we are considering a second opinion.

Hi. I am 23 and tore my medial meniscus last year. it was a medial intrameniscal tear (paper cut vs. hang nail). the surgery to repair it was a success. Younger patients have a higher chance of the repair working vs the elderly or even middle age people. I would definitly say that it is worth the try to repair it rather than just snip it out. His knee will last a whole lot longer and he'll probably escape early arthritis and knee replacment and all the injections that I am going through right now.

the surgery was arthroscopic with 3 incisions.. however the scaring isn't too pretty. I was 50% weight bearing for 3 weeks in a full leg brace w/ hinges. 2 weeks full weight bearing w/ the brace. the recovery for repairs is about 10 weeks. it was 10 weeks until my doctor considered letting me go back to running or even cycling. The recovery is intense though. I lost all function of my quad muscle and had to relearn how contract it and i had to retrain my gait. the pain after surgery is pretty intense and it takes about 2-3 weeks for you to stop wondering why you went through w/ it. it's worth it in the end to be pain free.

I just got diagnosed a week ago with another intrameniscal tear to the other knee and I will be having the surgery this summer to try and repair it.

hope this helps. feel free to ask more. good luck to your son.