Orthopedics Community
muscle crush injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

muscle crush injury

7 yrs ago i had an accident which resulted in a muscle crush injury to the back of the knee. I still have many problems with it after all these years. In cold, damp weather it aches and becomes swollen, retains water so becomes puffy and i find myself tripping over more as my leg feels wooden at times. Is there anything that can be done to ease this and why am i still having these problems after 7years. The specialist at the time of injury said he couldn't see me having any on-going problems !    
How are you feeling?
Your condition could be related to nerve injury at the time of muscle crush. Alternatively it could also be due to fracture fragments or cyst formation at the back of your knee called as Baker's cyst.
I think you should be consulting an orthopaedician first and discuss regarding plan of management.
Secondly you need to get imaging study done for your knee. Imaging study should be MRI to evaluate the soft tissue pathology too.
Thirdly you need to also consult a neurologist to look for any neurological pathology if it exists.
Fourthly a physiotherapist should help you regarding ROM around knee joint and help in decreasing swelling.
Keep me informed if you have nay queries.
Bye.
hi thanks for the information and advice.. I did have physio after the accident (in 2002)
I just feel that the problems i get with my knee, even though its not a regular occurance would of subsided after several years and as they have not i pressume they will be with me throughtout life. I ride a bike to and from work as i know its important to keep the affected area mobile. I think im just a bit annoyed that i was told i wouldn't have any on-going problems. The doctors said if it had happened an inch higher i would of shattered my knee, so i guess i should be grateful. I will see if i can get a scan done to see what is exactly going on. Thanks for your help