my daughter got her cast wet
hi, my daughter got her cast wet and i have made an appointment to have it replaced.The problem is,is that her date to have the original cast removed is the 27th of april and we go on holiday abroad on may 8th!! will the replacing of the cast affect her original date to get her cast off?? i heard that if you have a damaged cast replaced they leave the new one on for an extra 2 weeks!! is this true??
Just getting the cast wet shouldn't affect when it is due to be removed for good, unless the original injury has not healed.

Is her cast soft since she got it wet?

I would suggest calling her ortho doc and asking them for an urgent appointment to replace the cast.  I'm not so much worried about the cast getting wet extending her time in the cast, but I am concerned about possible infection from dampness inside the cast.  Even when the outside of the cast has dried, the casting material inside can stay damp or wet for actually several days - since there's no air circulation inside the cast, it takes a LONG time to dry, if it ever does.  This dampness/wetness can cause a fungal infection to begin to grow and if she's got any cuts, scrapes, etc., an infection can set in deeper than just on the surface of the skin.  Also a damp cast is more likely to rub against the skin, which could cause breakdown of the skin and abrasions/sore spots.

One time when I had broke my foot and was in a cast, I inadvertently stepped in a puddle (there was what I thought a thick coating of ice on top, but it turned out to be a very thin coating!) and got my cast wet.  I did dry it out as best as I could with a cool hairdryer, but also immediately called my ortho doc who got me in the next day to have the cast replaced.  It did not extend my total time in the cast at all.

So I would definitely suggest calling back to the ortho doc and insist upon her being seen and a new cast being put on within in the next couple of days.  They may even be able to take an xray at that time to see just how well she is healing (not always will they do this though, so don't be surprised if they don't)

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!